Here at Stachowski's, we tend to talk about meat quite a bit. Walk in on any given Tuesday, and you might find a whole lamb about to be butchered. Come in on the weekend, and we'll be raving about how great the 45 day aged Kansas City Strip will be at your backyard BBQ. Jamie likes to call himself "The Georgetown Butcher," and we know how to whip up the best pastrami sandwich you've ever had.
While the meat case will certainly catch your eye, certainly don't forget about our fabulous selection of fresh and local fruits and veggies! Which brings us to the topic of the day: Beets! Beets with their silky deep purple juice and versatile place on your table! We're not physicians here, but we've heard that beets also have some pretty spectacular health benefits. At the very least, beets can offer a refreshing complement to a meat-laden dinner or fill out a light summer meal.
Here are a few of our favorite beet recipes, and we'd also love to hear what all of you do with beets!
Tonight at Stachowski's we are cookin' up a spectacular Prime Rib Roast, served with a baked potato and a side of Caesar salad ($18.95). Limited to 20 orders, so R.S.V.P. at 202-506-3125 as soon as you can!
In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, Jamie has shared his chicken enchiladas recipe--if you're still making plans for tonight's dinner, come grab fresh chicken breasts from Stachowski's and get cooking.
Jamie's Chicken Enchilada Casserole
2-3 dried ancho chili peppers
2 tsp cumin
2 c. chicken broth
Garlic, thinly sliced
3 large chicken breasts, shredded
Flour or corn tortillas
Monterey jack, cheddar, or queso blanco cheese
1) Simmer chili peppers in chicken broth with cumin and garlic
2) When chili and garlic are soft, puree mixture in blender. Return to pan, add shredded chicken and simmer another 20-30 minutes, until liquid has mostly evaporated.
3) Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce over bottom of pan and arrange a layer of tortillas
4) Sprinkle a layer of chicken, a layer of cheese, and pour a bit of enchilada sauce over.
5) Repeat layering until pan is full, end with a layer of cheese
6) Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until top layer is crispy
7) Serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole